Kim Lajoie's blog

Category Archives: Community

How to be a mastering engineer. Or, how to be a master

by Kim Lajoie on August 2, 2013

Ian Shepherd: The answer is me. My ears, my experience, my perspective, my skill. Me. I’m the mastering engineer. Pretty arrogant, right ? Tongue-in-cheek contextless quoting aside, Ian makes a really good point. And it’s one that I make frequently to singer/songwriters who ask me for advice about recording their next release in their home studio. I’m all for people having a go […]

7 tips on making your music loud

by Kim Lajoie on July 28, 2013

Ilpo Kärkkäinen: We need to understand there are two different processes at play when we are trying to make a track loud: the production/mixdown stage and the mastering. Ilpo, you’re missing one. There are three. In my recent guide, I cover the three production stages where loudness should be considered: composition, mixing and mastering. Composition […]

Submissions for the next compilation

by Kim Lajoie on July 26, 2013

Ok, let’s do this. Like last time this is fairly low-key. It’s to showcase some of the great music that you all are working on. The end result will be an album that’s released for free download and publicised here and a few other places around, including in association with Obsessive Music. See the previous compilation […]

Time for another compilation… who’s in?

by Kim Lajoie on July 20, 2013

Well, it’s been almost six months since the last compilation. So I’m thinking it might be time to do another. The last one got a really good response and I think turned out with some great tracks. I enjoyed the process and I think everyone involved did too. I think this time I think the […]

The only 5 (or 4) essential mixing tools you need

by Kim Lajoie on July 19, 2013

Vincent Dubroeucq: When it comes to mixing, there are in my opinion only five essential tools in your DAW that are critical to getting great mixes. Vincent’s almost right. The article goes on to describe the four most powerful mixing tools: volume, tone, dynamics and ambience. That far, I agree 100%. In fact, I wrote […]

A closer relationship with your client (or: The Unlikely Advantages of Recording in Your Control Room)

by Kim Lajoie on July 17, 2013

Björgvin Benediktsson: Even if you don’t produce music yourself, recording an artist in the same room as you can create a more intimate relationship if you are trying to get a good performance from them. I’m not saying you should breathe down the singer’s neck, but being in the same room creates easier communication. It’s […]

You also have to do the other kind of listening

by Kim Lajoie on July 10, 2013

This post was originally published on Audio-Issues. As an engineer or producer, you have to do a lot of different kinds of listening. You have to listen carefully to the raw sounds that your microphones are capturing. You have to listen to the balance of sounds when you mix. You have to listen to reference […]